Leon Eckert, currently living in New York.
Hallo! I am a German programmer, researcher and artist focusing on the critical discussion of technology and its impact on society. My work is inspired by the psychological, cultural and geopolitical processes at play in a time of large-scale data collection and analysis.
- ITP, Tisch School of the Arts, NYU - Research Resident - 2017 - 2018
- Data Selfie - Python Developer, built Object Recognition API - 2017
- 'Hansel & Gretel' by Ai Weiwei, Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron - Computer Vision Assistant to Adam Harvey - 2017
- Helen Nissenbaum - Research Assistant - 2016
- Trevor Paglen - Computer Vision Research & Python Developer - 2016
- Adam Harvey - Python Developer - 2016
- Privacy Research Group, NYU - Member - 2016 - ongoing
- Matthew Plummer-Fernandez - Python Developer - 2013
- Revital Cohen & Tuur Van Baalen - Processing & Arduino Developer - 2013
- Teaching Assistant, Intro to Python UG - NYU, CS Department - 2017
- Intro to Computer Vision with Python - NYU, ITP Unconference - 2017
- Intro to Chrome Extensions Workshop - NYU, ITP - 2016
- Intro to Python Workshop Series - NYU, ITP - 2016
- Intro to Command Line - NYU, ITP - 2016
- 3rd Istanbul Design Biennale - Istanbul - Packet Autobahn - 2016
- ITP Spring Show - NYC- Air Poems & Unwitting Subjects - 2016
- ITP Winter Show - NYC- Deceit Board & Keyprints - 2015
- Codame Art+Tech Festival - San Francisco - Genetic Dance Algorithm - 2015
- XV Show, Goldsmiths University - London - Genetic Dance Algorithm - 2015
An Instagram account run by an algorithm, the prime audience of all our posts.
2017computer vision, machine learning, instagram, bot
Exploring the possibility of making inferences about a typist’s mental state by analyzing keystroke rhythms.
2017privacy, biometric data, itp thesis
A two part project dealing with typing patterns and how they are used as unique identifiers of individuals.
2015surveillance, privacy, biometrics, behavioural data, arduino
Altering reality as seen through insecure ip cameras / a program that makes unwitting strangers far away draw on your canvas.
2016privacy, surveillance, open frameworks, ip cameras
A Chrome Extension that renders your content normal for friends, yet unreadable for Facebook's algorithm(s).
in progress / a blog
...for talking about dark subjects.
Mar 21, 2017thesis, theory
make everyone sound the same
Feb 27, 2017python, sound, video, stupid hackathon 2017
today I built an interactive tool to visualise keystroke patterns
a not really succesful little scraping exercise
Feb 16, 2017python, selenium, scraping, amazon, not thesis
- various times and places, handpicked by a stranger.
- clouds, rocks and water.
- splits across time and space.
- beautiful minds alone with their ideas. at itp.